Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chop Stix, Gaithersburg MD

We go to chop Stix in muddy branch plaza all the time for carry-outs and dinner.  This was the first time I went there for weekend dim sum (Mandarin style) in a while.  I was thoroughly unimpressed.

We ordered 6 or 7 small dishes.  I only liked the bean curd dish, everything else was just mediocre at best.  The wonton soup was definitely epic failure.  I couldn't believe they dared serving such a bad tasting dish.  The so called soup tasted like they dumped salt and LOTS of soy sauce in the water (hence the soy sauce color soup), the wontons were all falling apart.  I couldn't finish any of this, so I picked the wontons out and barely ate those.  Strange thing was, even though soup was super soy saucy and salty, the wontons were pretty flavorless. 
















We also ordered some pan fried meat buns 生煎包. This was just so-so, the version I like is from Fu-Shin restaurant where there are more filling and less bread.  We ordered 2 orders so this is $8.99 worth, definitely not worth the money.

pan fried meat buns 生煎包
















We also ordered some rice ball 飯糰.  This is still sitting in my frige, probably mediocre at best so we're not excited to try it yet. 

rice ball 飯糰
















There were some other dishes that are not worth mentioning since they are not extremely bad or make the grade.  The list includes a Cantonese congee 皮蛋瘦肉粥 that was not made the right way.  It looked and tasted more like regular taiwanese congee 稀飯.  I don't think I'll go back to Chop Stix again for their weekend dim sum.  We will still order their regular menu though.

FoodiePop's rating for weekend dim sum: 2/5

Chop Stix
820 Muddy Branch Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878

No comments:

Post a Comment